A new program was rolled out in early August of 2017 spear-headed by Reni Bumpas, an FCA house parent who is joyfully gifted as an administrator, writer, and communicator. Trained adults are paired with students who can invest time and energy to accomplish a definitive purpose.
Many young people coming out of broken family situations need an extra measure of grace and guidance to help build a future plan for their life. If mentoring by loving, wise adults doesn’t occur, then often teenagers move through early adulthood floundering with very little direction. Staff were trained in the summer of 2017 with new tools needed to walk students down a career path. The program was launched in August with our senior class.
The new program seems to be paying off according to an early survey at the end of the semester.
- One student said she’s applying for a scholarship that requires a resume, and she had no idea how to prepare one, and had been agonizing over it. At just the right time, Dr. Jeré Littlejohn came in and taught on that, and now she feels great about it.
- One student said it’s gotten her more focused, that she’d been avoiding planning, and that the Career Report was particularly helpful in that regard.
- One student said she would have been behind on the college visits if not for them being required, and she went on to say how the deadlines were good for her and helped her.
- Several students remarked about how they appreciated being able to talk about both personal stuff and getting encouragement and guidance for their future and for life.
- Many students reported that the life coaching had been “very helpful,” that it was “good having someone to track,” that coaches were “good role models,” and that “they would have been behind had it not been for the coaches and assignments.”
Life Coaching at FCA teaches students how to design a resume’ of experiences, learn more about their unique personality traits, develop a “life purpose statement,” shadow adults at work, and much more.
As you think about the young people at French Camp Academy, please pray for the Life Coaching program. Pray that God will use these vital relationships to provide the God-given guidance and resources needed for our young people to make the right choices moving forward in life.